Sunday, October 11, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving?

As a resident of Canada, this weekend marks our Thanksgiving; a weekend where we celebrate the harvests of our agriculture. Back in 1957, the Canadian government officially declared the second Monday in October as Thanksgiving Day. Since Remembrance Day is celebrated on November 11, days before the American Thanksgiving, it was decided that our holiday should fall a month earlier.

Every year, the questions arises. Like Christmas, has Thanksgiving become too commercial? In the United States, the Friday following Thanksgiving is know as Black Friday, which marks the beginning of the Christmas countdown and celebration. It is also the biggest retail shopping weekend of the year. A "do or die" weekend for retailers.

It seems the original, almost Pagan, meaning of a time for “giving thanks” has evolved for the majority of the population. 2009 has been a very unforgiving year for many. The tumbling economy coupled with the bankruptcy of the auto industry is a main example of this.

I know first-hand the devastation of having a 15-year career for an auto parts supplier suddenly end, with nothing to show for it. I suddenly began thinking about all that overtime and that “110%” that I gave. It was all for naught. The best I can hope for is getting my sizeable severance from the receiver, after all the assets have been sold off.

I know first-hand the feeling of frustration in search of equal employment, and the toll it has taken on my wife and family. It seems the only jobs available right now are junior positions at half the salary. I have also felt that my being turned down for a position was due to the fear of the interviewer (to whom I would report) for her job, since I may have been perceived as a threat with my qualifications. Living through the bankruptcy of my employer has left me with feelings of doubt, and questioning the viability of any new position. Is it really worth it for me to work so hard with the threat of dissolution that could happen at any time?

I know first-hand the feeling of loss felt by friends who have experienced a death in the family this year. I’m sure everyone has experienced a loss this year, physically and/or emotionally. Hopefully, this will bring friends and family closer together. Loss and grief can be handled in many ways. Perhaps reflecting on the good times while they were on this earth will help begin the healing.

So what do we have to give thanks for in 2009?

Well, to begin with, we can be thankful we are alive. We can be thankful we are healthy (despite the fact that I’m battling a cold right now). We can be thankful that no matter what our household income is, there is an income, seeing us through these times, putting food on our table, gas in our car, and putting our kids through school.

For me, this year has been more of a year of hope than thanks. Personally, I can’t see the year end soon enough, since 2010 couldn’t be any worse than 2009.

Happy Thanksgiving, Canada!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home